Skip to main content

lighting tests

I haven't posted in a while and the reason is that I've spent last few weeks working in an animatic with a friend.

While he was doing tons of chroma keying and cleaning the crap out of them, I've spent my time creating backgrounds and playing with cool stuff I've never tried before, like the fractureme script and actually animating lots of objects, including a couple of hands. Sadly, I had no time for anything else.

I can't upload the video yet, but, meanwhile, if anyone's interested bored enough, there's a 10 second preview I've uploaded to youtube and vimeo before starting the actual production of the animatic.

So, with that off my back, I've spent last few days lazying around and socializing, and finally I've come back to this blog entry I'd started about a month ago.





These two images are from a lighting test I'd set up to confirm some linear workflow concerns I've had. The first one is lit with one area light and the second one uses a sun lamp with sky and environment. If anyone's interested, the blend file is available here.

The real motivation behind finishing this entry, actually, is this:



If you haven't recognized it yet, this is the scene from the first cgsociety's lighting challenge modeled by Dan Wade.

I had the file in my hard drive for a few months already, and yesterday I've decided to start messing with it. I'm not done with it yet,and lots of changes need to be made, but this is as good as I can get for a start.

The orange, plums, cherries and grapes are procedurally textured, even though I can't seem to notice the effect of it on the grapes :( . The rest of the elements are image based textured.

I'll try to find some time this weekend to further work on this scene.

Also, here's a screenshot of the node setup I usually have in most of my scenes.



Hope you liked this, any suggestions will be welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Sourcing

Some days ago, I caught myself ranting while doing a test recording for a tutorial. I've been asked several times to produce a sculpting tutorial, but, since I'm still learning and still trying to figure out a lot of things, always ended up with the feeling that everything I could say has already been said. So, the only point for it would be to talk about the Blender specific topics. But there aren't many things about my work flow that are Blender only. I think I covered all the needed settings and the brushes I use lately with the Onion branch in the following pdf. Click the image to download the file. So, my rant was about how there is all this free knowledge online about sculpting, but, a lot of Blender users seem to neglect it because they only look for Blender tutorials. And that gave me the idea. Publish a list of all the videos and tutorials I've been gathering, and let everyone compile their own build of 'Sculpting with Blender'. Even thoug

sculpt_startup.blend

Everything should happen in the 3D View Following what I said in my UI proposal some time ago, and with Dyntopo having its options in the Tool Shelf, I've made some adjustments to my default Sculpt layout. Only the 3D View with an open Tool Shelf is needed to start sculpting now, removing even more unnecessary choices and making access to Sculpt Mode in Blender easier. Ctrl+UpArrow shows the full layout which contains the 3D View, an Outliner set to 'visible layers', and the Properties window. With this layout you can sculpt various objects without having to leave Sculpt Mode, selecting them from the Outliner. Here's a demo video of a few objects sculpted with Dyntopo and the current layout: We could switch a few more things to the 3D View to make the two extra windows redundant. Matcap or Material assignment. In past GSOC projects, a Matcap selector was coded and added to the Properties panel of the 3D View. While I liked it, and

Noise

Cave painting. Shaman Barcelona chair Credits for the chair scene: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/marcin_hrn/ http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/pcraven/ http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/lsmft/ http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/jclevet-net/ http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/nikitron/ http://www.blendswap.com/blends/author/metalix/